Why the New FDA Food Labels Are a Big Deal for Dentists
This Spring, new FDA Food Labels were announced to the public. While they look the same at first glance, the differences are pretty significant.
The new Nutrition Facts label will include the following.
- An updated design to highlight “calories” and “servings.”
- Requirements for serving sizes that more closely reflect the amounts of food that people currently eat.
- Declaration of grams and a percent daily value (%DV) for “added sugars” to help consumers know how much sugar has been added to the product.
- “Dual column” labels to indicate both “per serving” and “per package” calorie and nutrition information for certain multi-serving food products that could be consumed in one sitting or multiple sittings.
- For packages that are ...